Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Garage

We tackled revamping our garage in two parts/2 different days. When we first moved in we focused all of our efforts on the inside and just we utilized what shelving and space was already up in the garage. About a month ago we did a "reorg" and started taking down some of the old shelving that had seen better days. That in and of itself was a huge success. But I had to take it one step further and this past weekend convinced Matt to paint the inside. The walls just felt so gross with random scuffs and marks everywhere. So we picked a light greenish-gray thinking that it wouldn't show dirt and marks quite as much as white. Although the entire process, both parts, were exhausting....we love the end result...a clean, organized garage! (To be fair, I think I love it more than Matt - but he likes it too!)

What we started with! Those white plastic drawers used to be Matt's "dresser" at our old apartment. Now he has built in shelves in the closet! Hello progess!!!
 In this corner are two shabby shelves left by the old owner. You can tell that in their prime they were really nice shelves. But they had to go. Matt and I enjoyed taking the hammer to them! We may or may not have accidentally slammed a hole through the drywall. For phase one we covered it with duck tape. Phase two, was only slightly more classy and I'm embarrassed to even write it on our blog. It is spackled and painted tho! ha!
 This side had it's own problems. The bikes made it almost impossible to get in and out of the car.
 So here is a shot of our newly organized garage. You will note that we bought some of those awesome rubbermaid strips that you can hang anything from. For phase one we just hung the one. Also, after damaging the wall we only took down one of the two large white shelves (far right corner). It might not look much different, but trust me...HUGE progress! (You can barely see it, but the ducktape covering our hole in the wall is directy above the far left side of the white plastic drawers in the middle of the picture.)
 Onto painting. I dove right in Monday morning while Matt was still asleep to take everything off the walls. Luckily my superman came out right in time so I didn't hurt myself trying to take down that beast of a shelf!
 I'm not sure if you really get a sense for how clean the walls are here. But it is a beautiful site! Plus we got a few more things hung, one of the bikes up and each drawer/shelf is organized with a purpose!

1 comment:

  1. I could really use a Matt and Alexandra weekend in my garage. . . want to come to Jacksonville?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete