Sunday, October 20, 2013

Wanting to "Want to"

The setting was a late evening, sitting around the table with my cousin and his wife. It was one of those conversations about the deeper meaning of life, being happy, giving back and being a meaningful contributor to society at large. 

We talked about work and how work can get in the way of other life activities that just didn't seem as difficult to do in our younger years: Time with friends, playing sports/working our, going to church, the list goes on. Work comes with stress, travel, early mornings, long days and some amount of pressure. And to think that I actually love my job! The list goes on for those that haven't found the job for them yet. 

So where is the time for working out, volunteering, learning a new language, taking up yoga, getting thirty minutes of doctor-recommended cardio a day? Dinner dates with your hubby, time with friends, practicing the piano or calling your family to check in? Currently child-free, this list doesn't even contemplate kiddos. 

Well, the first answer is probably making sure you have a balance between work and play/family. I am still working on finding this perfect balance, but I have not given up hope of successfully managing my career and being a lovable friend/wife/daughter/sister/citizen all at the same time! I am probably a little unbalanced on working too much, but the first step is admitting it. Lol!

But this post is not about the work-life balance. I can, and maybe will, write an entire novel on that topic. This post is about the concept that came about through a late night conversation with my cousin and cousin-in-law. The idea that, with limited time outside of the 40-60 hour work week, what all can you truly  be motivated to accomplish? What you "want" to want to do, or should you focus on what you actually want to do. I realized I have been waiting and wanting to "want" to practice the piano, and wake up early to run or do yoga. But years into it, I have yet to regularly accomplish either. So what is it that I actually want to do with my free time...to decompress but at the same time still feel a sense of accomplishment and productivity? I think I want to learn to play the violin. I have had the thought for years but never moved past just thinking about it. So I have started the research phase: buy or rent, in-person or online lessons, etc. and if I can continue to stay motivated through my research we just might hit the "go" button. 

What to you want to do...verses wanting to want to do? Because for me, yoga and piano might still be worthwhile activities, but they are moving to the should column and violin can be what I do for fun...until it's not!

No comments:

Post a Comment