I have never considered myself a Southerner. I was born and raised in Tulsa, OK (until I was 12) - went to Junior High and High School in Jackson, MS - went to college in Dallas, TX - lived 3 summers in Crested Butte, CO - moved to Italy for a year - and am back in Dallas. My extended family lives in 14 different states and 4 different countries (currently). The rest of my extended family calls Rome home, and I every other weekend I seem to be on a plane visiting friends or family in a new state/city.
When we moved to Jackson, classmates called me a Yankee. It baffeled me because I used to think - if you would only look at a map you might reconsider considering Tulsa, OK "North." But now I get it....Texas and Oklahoma....they are not Southern States. They are great states in their own right - but not the South. Living in Mississippi you adjust to the fact that people move and talk slower, that everyone smiles and is polite, that no matter your age you say "yes ma'am and no sir" to the older generation. You learn what grits are - and may or may not take a liking to them (I did not). You are unimpressed by Mur Woods National Park in California because the trees in your neighborhoods are ginormous. You are aware of race issues, the Civil war, the Confederate flag and watched "Roots" at some point before your Sophomore year. All of this becomes the norm and you don't even realize that you have started substituting "you guys" with "y'all" - even though you SWORE you would NEVER stoop so low.
So I never felt like a Southerner living in Jackson...but throw on an old home video and wow do I have a Southern drawl (That I never realized was there)! Fast forward to 10+ years removed from life in Jackson and I love going home to the slow, sweet pace of the South. Oftentimes I even catch the Southern accent coming out of my mouth as I interact with the clerk at the grocery store or old friends at church.
So what is the point of this post? What brought on the idea to blog about the South and the soft spot it holds in my heart? My recent trip to Little Rock would be the answer to those questions! This past week I had the pleasure of spending about 24 hours in the great city of Little Rock for work. The majority of my time was spent in our LR office and the hotel. WOW - let's talk about the hotel. We stayed at The Capital Hotel and holy moly I was impressed. There is just no place like an old, historic hotel with Southern charm and hospitality. If you EVER have the opportunity to stay at this hotel - you will not be disappointed. My hotel room was like something out of Gone with the Wind. Thirty-five foot ceilings, impressive drapes, room service to die for, and a turndown service that makes the Four Seasons feel average.
I felt at home. I fit in. I appreciated the slow, southern drawl, the sersucker pants, grits on the menu, the best lemonade known to man and smiling at strangers with a head nod and a "good morning." I never considered myself a Southerner - until I left the South - and come home! Now don't get me wrong - I am pretty close to considering myself a full-fledged Texan - but in the meantime I will always hold a very special place in my heart for the true Southerners...knowing that while I might only be an honorary member - the South will always be home!







No comments:
Post a Comment